Thursday, January 18, 2007

One Love

This past Sunday, January 14th, I ran a half marathon: the Rock 'n Roll (half) Marathon in Phoenix, Arizona. This is not my first experience running long distances; I ran a full marathon in St. Louis last April. I observed the same thing this time, but on a grander scale. The people that run these events are not one demographic, they are not several--they are every demographic. I begin the race nervous, due to my lack of serious training. By the time people start to fill in the race corrals and line up next to me, I began to feel something. I began to feel like I was a part of something bigger than myself. But like I challenged you last time I blogged a week ago today, I began to think--what else was I to do with two hours of my time?

I ran amongst 36,000 people, all there to accomplish one goal--to finish the race. Why each individual wanted to finish varies, but it made me think. I looked ahead of me. People were running. I looked behind me. People were running. Everywhere I looked, people were running. White, black, old, young, thin, thick, brown eyes, green eyes: they were not fighting, they were not segregated, they were not snubbing each other because of something they were born into, with, or believed in. They were all sharing one love, a love that supported interpersonal and intrapersonal communication, a love that supported unity through the streets of Arizona. Finally, the roads were lined with spectators and supporters--most knew runners, but some did not. I told my dad when I finished that I don't think that if I had been at home, I could have run 8 miles, let alone the 5.1 extra. But because of the elderly man next to me, the woman and her children in front of me, and my dad and my uncle running behind me, I could achieve something I was passionate about.

Spotlight on my brain activity: why can't the African nations work like this? Why do silly differences like nose widths and religious rivalries hold people back from supporting one love? A love that helps everyone accomplish their universal goal: to lead happy and healthy lives. Challenge for this week is inspired: during the race, I felt like I could have taken my thoughts one step further. I know that my next race, I am going to run in a shirt that states, "I am running for all of those HAVE to RUN, in Darfur." Challenge: take your thoughts a step further creatively, whether through communicating your thoughts to someone, reading a testimonial from a survivor, etc. Good luck and pay the One Love concept forward.

No comments: