Thursday, January 11, 2007

Introduction and A Call for Thought

Hello, I would like to introduce myself, like my colleagues have. My name is Matt Felzke, and I am a junior (by credit hours) at Truman State University, located in the northeast corner of Missouri. I am currently double majoring in Secondary English Education and Communication. My favorite class that I am taking right now is African American Literature, and that is for the same reason that I am passionate about genocide in the world today. I am very interested in the study of racism, prejudice, discrimination, ethnocentrism, and the effects that these have on politics and society. I was first REALLY introduced to this notion when I was a junior in high school when I took a Holocaust literature course. Since then, the thought of genocide in our global society has never left my mind.
As it is the new year and resolutions abound, I would like to challenge you to a resolution. Not a resolution for the new year, but for a new purpose in life. This resolution will build, just as our initiatives have in dealing with the issue of warfare and genocide. So here is my proposition to you for now: I personally challenge you to THINK. That is all. I suspect that thinking of the multitude of people in danger because of genocide, outside of your immediate routine and environment will lead to research--this is good, because that will be my next challenge. So for my roll in blogging, I might update you on news, I might tell a story that has affected my life, but I will always end with a challenge. So, to wrap things up, let 2007 be a year of thought, research, memories, resulting in action.

No comments: