Thursday, January 18, 2007

Greetings

I would like to make my own late introduction. My name is Dave Gethings, and I am a senior at Felician College in Lodi, NJ. I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read this blog. I would like to use this first blog to explain why these issues are so important. As a child, I learned about the Holocaust during World War II. I was appalled, but I saw it as a sad moment in history, and truly believed that humanity had learned its lesson. Such evil could never triumph again. For years I continued life without searching out truth, giving in to the plentiful distractions that my comfortable American life allows.

Then I heard about this country called Rwanda, and the sad course of events that had taken place there. The rest of the world watched and did nothing while hundreds of thousands of people were slaughtered. I couldn’t believe that something like this could happen…again. Sadly, it did not stop there. Today we are still in a world with genocide taking place. I can no longer resign these events to history or just pass it off as something about which I can do nothing.

I truly hope that every person that reads this will take a moment to inform themselves of the atrocities taking place around the world. Also, if each person does even one thing (a letter to the editor, call to government, telling a friend, etc) then we might be able to stop such atrocities. These events are how we will be judged by history. How will you answer your children when they ask you what you did to stop the murder?

1 comment:

mawilson said...

I just wanted to comment on how powerful the imagery is in your final statement. "What did you do to stop the killings?" If people ask themselves this question I am sure it will incite many a good deed.