Wednesday, January 3, 2007

My intro

Hello to everyone browsing around the Net. My name is Geoffrey Bridges and I wanted to take this time to introduce myself. I am a third year at UNC-CH (Go Heels!) majoring in International Studies with a focus on Western Europe and the European Union and I'm minoring in French. Since the spring of my sophomore year I've been very active in my school's Darfur advocacy group SUDAN (Students United for Darfur Awareness Now). From this group I have gained so much more than just knowledge about the worst human crisis the world faces today. I have gained confidence, many friendships, a sense of purpose and drive, and a will to put forth my all to help in an effort that is greater than myself and one which I'm thrilled to see has grown so much as the world has become more aware of the plight of the people in Darfur. However, this reality of growing awareness also reveals a tragic dichotomy: while I no doubt want to see the awareness grow and grow and turn into concrete action I realize that it is coming at the expense of an ever-worsening situation in Darfur. I don't know what the final cost will be in terms of loss of life but we have to truly believe that it will be worth it. Saving even one life that might otherwise have been snuffed out in Darfur makes the cause incredibly worth doing all that we can to stop this genocide. So, these are my initial thoughts as a blogger contributing to this very important subject. In the future, I will be writing about ethnic conflict in Burundi and the limitations of International Law and the Convention on Genocide Prevention.

No comments: