Friday, April 6, 2007

What I’m Reading II

I have to apologize to everyone for not writing in so long, but I’ve been a little short on both time and ideas lately. To continue on with the theme of my last post though, I’d like to make another book recommendation. (For anyone wondering what the answer to the title of my last pick - “Will Genocide Ever End?” is, it basically boils down to ‘yes - with a lot of hard work.’)

The book I’m onto now is one I picked up at the Holocaust Museum’s shop during the Advanced Leadership Summit last month. “Darfur: A Short History of a Long War” by Julie Flint and Alex De Waal is a little book packed with lots of information. Published in 2005, the book obviously lacks recent developments in the Darfur Genocide and war but makes up for it by being a great resource for the political history of Sudan and Darfur specifically, the origins of the Janjaweed, and the history of racial discrimination that led the rebels to rise up against the Khartoum government in 2003.

Although it’s a little daunting at first thanks to the wall-to-wall dates and hard-to-remember Arabic names, “Darfur” is definitely worth the effort and should be required reading for anyone who wants to know anything about Darfur.

1 comment:

Martha Heinemann Bixby said...

I'm reading that too! It is a great history - especially how it chronicles the evolution of ethnic identities and the role of regional actors (esp. Libya). I'll be interested in seeing how it concludes. If people want to see more views by myself and Chris check out the Genocide Studies Annotated Bibliography Project at www.livesinthebalance.com (and please contribute to the project!)