Wednesday, March 21, 2007

What I’m Reading

So Martha had the idea a few weeks ago that we should start posting on “what the Student Board is reading.” I thought it was a great idea and so I’d like to say a few words and recommend a book that I picked up recently. It’s called “Will Genocide Ever End?” (Rittner et al, editors) and is a compilation of short essays by a lot of people in the field of genocide studies and prevention. People such as Helen Fein, Richard L. Rubenstein, Ervin Staub, and John Heidenrich write on a variety of topics addressing what genocide is, why it happens, and how it can be stopped.

This book might be a little advanced for someone new to the world of genocide studies, in which case I would recommend reading Samantha Powers’ great book “A Problem From Hell,” which is a great intro. After Powers’ book, though, “Will Genocide Ever End?” should be the next step, particularly for people interested in stopping, and not just studying, genocide.

No comments: